Friday 1 July 2011

In Praise of Patients

I treat a really wide range of patients, from about the age of 9 up to 60+. I treat boys and girls, men and women, nervous patients and confident people, housewives, teachers, business men...you get the picture.

One of the lovely things about orthodontics is that because I see my patients every 6-8 weeks over the course of one to two years I get to know them well. I've seen patients through pregnancy and love it when they bring in the babies. I like to hear about exam results, holidays, sporting results (one young girl is a national triathlete) and weddings. Sometimes I need to lend a sympathetic ear in times of bereavement, divorce or job loss. It works both ways, they ask me about my children, my holiday and my dental nurse Carly about how she's getting on with her braces.

I consider all this part of the job and one of the things that makes it interesting. I often hear "I couldn't look at teeth all day" and if as a dentist or orthodontist that's how you perceive your role then no wonder you don't enjoy it. It's the people that make it worthwhile and make no two cases alike.

I know that I make a difference by the smiles and the thank-yous I get when I finish treatment. The best way of thanking me is by recommending me to family and friends, it's not only a great compliment it's one way my practice grows. Some patients choose to show their thanks by gifts, in recent weeks I've been given wine, chocolate, running socks, a plant and some pink champagne (its a tough call as to whether the socks or the champagne are my favourite!). It's not necessary but I am really touched when people take the time to buy a gift or write a card.

So thank you to all my patients, I really couldn't do this without you!

No comments: