Monday 29 March 2010

Smile Awards 2010


I am delighted to announce that I was "Highly commended" in the Orthodontic Smile category at this year's Smile Awards on Saturday.

The Smile Awards reward clinical excellence in dentistry and require submission of a case report of a treated patient. I entered two categories, the Orthodontic Smile and the Interdisciplinary Smile and was shortlisted for both. The awards were held at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensingtn, London and were judged by a panel of well known dentists, chaired by Christopher Orr. The high standard of entries was praised and the competition was certainly very tough.

For the Interdisciplinary Smile I entered a complex case, a lady who I treated in combination with general dentist Jack Cooke (my husband). She had orthodontic treatment to straighten her teeth followed by veneers on the upper front teeth to complete her smile.

My highly commended entry was a teenager treated with a functional brace and followed by fixed braces, managing to avoid extractions and giving her a beautiful smile, something the judges obviously recognised. I lost out to a friend and colleague who is an excellent consultant orthodontist, well done John Scholey.

It was amazing to see the standard of entries and amazing smiles created in all categories. It was great to be a part of something which recognises great treatment and also lovely to see my friend James Hamill win a prize. We had a great night, though recovery was not helped by the clocks going forward an hour!

The certificate will be going on display in the porch at the practice.

No comments: